HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Lisa Marie Presley: My fresh start

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ross

PostSubject: Lisa Marie Presley: My fresh start   Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:28 pm

I FEEL, in some ways, I'm starting all over again. The reaction to my new album, Storm & Grace, has been great and I'm enjoying touring.

The vibe is very intimate. My other albums were louder; this style takes more work and dedication. The crowd is different every night, so I have to win them over each time.

There's an element of bravery when it comes to following in my father's footsteps. People are either gunning or pulling for you. It's extreme, one way or the other. You need tough skin, but I like performing. When you're onstage, you form a relationship with the audience. I love meeting fans after a show and hearing how a particular song has influenced their lives.

I never had a father figure. [Presley's mother, Priscilla, separated from her father, Elvis, when she was four.] I was never partial to anyone my mum dated. The closest I've had to a father figure is T-Bone Burnett, who produced my album. I could tell he cared and wanted to ensure the record fell into the right hands. You need someone to champion your cause.

I visit Graceland a couple of times a year. It's my home away from home, but when it comes to business regarding my dad's estate, I detach myself from it. I have to take off my hat as daughter to make executive decisions. It's easier now I've been doing it for so long.

Living in the UK has given me a new perspective on life. I'd had enough of the people in LA and seeing too much of one thing, so my husband [musician and producer Michael Lockwood, whom Presley married in 2006] and I decided to start from scratch somewhere new. We fell in love with England and we now live about an hour outside London. It offers a lifestyle LA couldn't provide. We grow our own potatoes! I don't mind it when the sky is dark and cloudy; I'm as happy as can be when I'm rugged up in front of the fireplace.

Past 40, you start to see things from a different perspective. [Presley is 44.] Before 40, I tended to look at life as black and white. Now there's a lot of grey.

My three-year-old twins, Finley and Harper, have softened me. I feel blessed every time I see them. I can't believe we had two healthy, amazing children in one shot. Michael and I look at each other every day and say, "I can't believe they're ours!"

The girls know exactly what they want. One is outgoing and the other is reserved, but they look out for each other. I cherish this time with them; I know how quickly children grow up.

My children have always come first. I planned the tour around the twins' schooling. My eldest children are very grounded [Presley had Riley, 23, and Ben, 19, when she was married to Danny Keough]. They never had a shift in their daily schedule because of what I was doing.

I'm so proud of my daughter, Riley. She's in Namibia filming Mad Max and we Skype all the time. She's there for six months. I send her care packs because this is the longest I've been away from her.

Mum is so busy, I can't keep up with her. At the moment, she's designing furniture. She has a lot of energy. She's in much better shape than I am.

Storm & Grace (Universal Republic/XIX Recordings) is out now.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1