Lisa marie's tours 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
ross

PostSubject: Re: Lisa marie's tours 2013   Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:34 am

Concert review: Lisa Marie Presley well-suited for coziness of Eddie's Attic

By Melissa Ruggieri
Lisa Marie Presley is a diminutive figure, an inherently shy person who has nonetheless decided to put herself in the position of being an artist – and one who has spent months on the road, standing in front of crowds in intimate rooms and putting her vulnerability on display.
While she clearly isn’t naturally comfortable onstage – though with five musicians backing her on the cramped Eddie’s Attic stage, she might have felt physically penned in as well – she nonetheless conversed quietly with the audience and tried to indulge the boorish types who constantly interrupted her with song requests and irrelevant comments.

Yes, it must be difficult being a Presley – do we really need to remind anyone of her parental heritage? – yet Lisa Marie knows there is no escaping her pedigree.
Fortunately, she has the chops to silence anyone who thinks she’s cashing in on her famous name. Her fans, too – loud as they might have been – seemed to be genuine devotees of her music and not merely curiosity seekers.

One table at the first of her two extremely sold out shows on Sunday sang so brashly during “S.O.B.” and “Sticks and Stones” that they drowned out the very voice they came to hear.
Presley’s latest album –her third – is the contemplative “Storm & Grace,” a moody, often melancholy but insightful collection produced by T Bone Burnett.
She and her crackerjack band – some of them donning top hats with feathers – presented more than a half dozen of the strummy, rootsy songs, with a comforting thump from an upright bass anchoring “You Ain’t Seen Nothin’ Yet” (no, not the BTO cover) and a somber pedal steel guitar coloring “Soften the Blows.”

She also looked back at her pleasantly catchy hit from a decade ago, “Lights Out” and delivered the fan favorite “I’ll Figure It Out,” from her second album released in 2005.
Presley, 45, who sometimes shook a bedazzled tambourine and ably thwacked a floor tom on a couple of songs, sounded husky and robust throughout the 75-minute show. Her voice rang through the room on “Idiot,” a middle finger of a song directed at an ex (or two, or a few) and the cold open to the deeply felt country-tinged rocker “Sticks and Stones” marked her most impressive vocal moment of the set.

When Presley joked during the encore (no one left the stage – no point in such a small venue) that they’ve yet to perfect their cover of Tom Petty’s “I Need to Know” but continue to play it because it’s fun, a musical train wreck might have been expected.
But far from it. Their version of Petty’s 1978 rocker was loose, crunchy and fun – and finally gave Presley a chance to smile.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: Re: Lisa marie's tours 2013   Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:53 am

Lisa Marie Presley to sing at Park Theatre in Cranston
November 17, 2013 01:00 AM

By Susan McDonald

The child of rock ’n’ roll royalty, Lisa Marie Presley was in no hurry to get her own music career going.

The only daughter of Elvis Presley, Lisa Marie was 35 in 2003 when she first hit the airwaves with her first album, which was certified platinum. Her bluesy pop music channels a distinct Elvis-like sultry, throaty sound with a twist of femininity.

Over the past decade, she has meandered through the business, taking her time releasing a second album in 2005 (also certified platinum) and then going into self-induced hibernation until releasing “Storm and Grace,” her third album, in 2012.

The hibernation, Presley says in a telephone interview from a tour stop in Virginia, was necessary to regroup and refocus her life amid a maelstrom of celebrity drama. As much as her childhood might have introduced her to crazed fans and celebrity clingers-on, her adult experiences were almost devastating.

“I needed to deconstruct my life and I got rid of everything and everyone in it. I needed life to be more stripped down and I needed to get rid of absolutely toxic friends who were really not my friends. It was heartbreaking,” Presley says. “It’s a silly celebrity problem where you develop a big entourage that just gets in the way of everything.”

The result?

“I was feeling uninspired and couldn’t write,” she says simply.

It forced her into what she calls “vampire mode,” where she withdrew from the public eye and even moved to the English countryside with her fourth husband, music producer Michael Lockwood (after highly publicized unions with Michael Jackson and Nicolas Cage), and their twin daughters.

In England, her writing mood returned, she says. Presley found herself at “ground zero,” ready to sit down with different collaborators and thrilled to work with producer T Bone Burnett on a new album.

“I was blown away by the creativity flowing. It was like working with T Bone and the new writers just injected me with confidence,” she says. “I found myself creatively back where I should be.”

Lucky for her fans, who tell her how they yearn for the soulful lyrics she pens.

“I become like a medium almost — channeling lyrics and reacting to a melody. I can sit for hours and just write and write and write,” she says. “It’s therapeutic for me.”

“Storm and Grace” showcases a completely different artist, one who moved from the pop arena to something more true to herself. The songs are moody and even dark at times, but there’s a thread of hope and survival throughout that’s inviting and universally appealing.

Her fans appreciate the effort and many approach her after shows to tell her how certain songs speak to them or encapsulate their personal feelings and journeys.

“It truly is a labor of love,” Presley says of songwriting. “I’ve seen too much in my life. It’s all I really want to do.”

She didn’t want to speculate on the creation of a fourth album, although that and an overseas tour might be part of her immediate future. Her current 46-state tour wraps up at the end of November but she loves to be on the road.

“It’s my favorite part [of the music industry],” she says, adding that, “However, I do like to have a normal life and I keep my work life separate. It’s what keeps me level.”

PostSubject: Re: Lisa marie's tours 2013   Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:54 pm

CONCERT REVIEW: Lisa Marie Presley cuts her own creative path

November 20. 2013 1:11AM
By Alan K. Stout Weekender Correspondent

When Lisa Marie Presley initially decided to pursue a career in music, she could have gone in any direction she chose, and – if it was really what she wanted – she could have easily become a pop star. With her sultry singing voice, her good looks, and her last name, it’s very easy to imagine back in the ‘90s any major record label welcoming the opportunity to work with her. Get her some great pop songs written by professional hit-makers, teach her some choreographed dance moves, put her in a sexy music video, and the rest would have taken care of itself. A glitzy stint in Vegas – a town that her father owned – was also there for the taking. And in addition to the pop world, the country music community also certainly would have welcomed the opportunity to mold her into the next Shania.

Presley, however, would have none of it. She didn’t even release her first album until she was in her mid-30s, and when she did, she was the primary songwriter. And her music was neither pure pop nor country. Throughout the past decade, her career has moved forward on her own terms and at her own pace, and with her most recent effort, “Storm & Grace,” she appears to have found her best voice.

On Saturday, when her “Storm & Grace” tour made a stop at the sold-out Sellersville Theater, she continued to hit her stride.

Presley, supported by a superb five-piece band, opened the show with a stirring performance of “So Long,” one of the best tracks from the critically acclaimed “Storm & Grace.” Her music, particularly her new music, is thoughtful, textured, and rootsy and is anchored by raw emotion. If it was released 15 years ago at the time of the Lilith Fair – a golden era for female singer/songwriters – it’s easy to imagine Presley being invited to be a part of such a mega-tour. Instead, in 2013, she is out in mid-sized theaters reminding music fans that listening to someone truly expressing themselves through good songs is a fine way to spend an evening.

“It’s nice to be here in Pennsylvania,” said Presley before introducing “Over Me,” another catchy number from the new album, which was spiced by some thumpy stand-up bass and mandolin. A slinky rendition of “Storm of Nails” followed.

Though Presley’s musical style is greatly different from that of her late father, there was a period in his life, particularly in 1973 following his divorce and while recording at Stax , when he fully embraced soft and thoughtful ballads. And with the beautiful “Weary,” his daughter has written a song that it’s easy to imagine him not only loving, but recording. It was one of the show’s highlights.

“If there’s anybody here tonight that’s not here for the purpose of the show, but for some other creepy reason, this one goes out to you,” said Presley with a half laugh when introducing “You Ain’t Seen Nothin’ Yet,” a song that she also unapologetically admitted caused some trouble upon its initial release. Several tracks on “Storm & Grace” were apparently inspired by Presley’s separation from a certain church sometimes associated with Hollywood, and the experience apparently not only provided her with a fiery muse, but also inspired some of her best work. “You Ain’t Seen Nothin’ Yet” is a fine song and will now always likely be seen as one of Presley’s signature numbers.

The mid-point of the show featured a slightly stripped down acoustic set. Presley, seated on a stool, joked that her songs were mostly “mean, sad or angry” and added that the rhythmic “Soften the Blows” was written at a time when she was “particularly vulnerable.” And while that number seemed to have come from a sad time in her life, clearly “Idiot,” which she also performed, came from a time of anger. Somehow, it all made for an engaging set, and throughout it all, Michael Lockwood, her guitarist, husband, and musical director, spiced each number with just the right touch.

“Lights Out,” a notable track from her debut album from a decade ago, references the Presley family gravesite in the backyard at Graceland and the uneasy feeling that the empty plot sometimes gives her, while “Un-Break,” another gem from “Storm & Grace,” featured Presley on percussion. The set ended with “Sticks and Stones,” to which Presley was met with a standing ovation. Encores included “I’ll Figure It Out” and a cover of Tom Petty’s “I Need to Know.”

“Thank you so much,” said Presley to another ovation. “Thank you, Pennsylvania.”

Lisa Marie Presley is not a pop star. Nor is she a country star. She’s not a jumping jack on stage, nor does she banter as easily with her audience as a certain other Presley that always looked as if he were born for the stage. But she is talented artist who has grown into a style that can be both elegant and edgy. Her music has both soul and purpose, and her concert revealed someone that, musically, seems to have found her footing while also walking in some rather daunting footsteps. Her fans should be happy about that, and her father’s fans should be proud. And when you listen to marvelous and moving songs such as “How Do You Fly This Plane?” and “Forgiving” from her new album, it’s nice to think that somewhere, he is proud, too.

She has chosen her own musical path. It is completely her own. And it’s perfect for her.

Back to top Go down
ross

PostSubject: Re: Lisa marie's tours 2013   Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:26 am

Tour
Upcoming Tour Shows for 2014

1-10-14 – NATICK, MA

Venue: The Verve
Age Limit: 21+
Ticket Price: Bar Stools: $20 ADV / $25 DOS / VIP: $150 ADV - DOS
Address: 1360 Worcester St., Natick, MA 01760
Web: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

1-11-14 – NEW YORK, NY

Venue: City Winery - New York
Age Limit: All Ages
Ticket Price: Bar Stools: $35 / Best Tables: $48 / Tables: $42 / $48
Address: 155 Varick St. New York, NY 10013
Web:http://www.citywinery.com

5-2-14 – WATSEKA, IL

Venue: Watseka Theatre
Ticket Price: Bar Stools: Main Floor: $45 ADV / Front Row Balcony: $45 ADV-DOS / Balcony: $45 AD-DOS / VIP Ticket Add-on: $150 ADV-DOS
Address: 218 East Walnut Street, Watseka, IL 60970

5-3-14 – TAYLOR, MI

Venue: Heinz C. Prechter Educational & Performing Arts Center
Ticket Price: Tier 1: $40 ADV-DOS / Tier 2: $45 ADV - DOS / VIP $100 ADV-DOS
Address: 21000 Northline Road, Taylor, MI 48180

6-12-14 – BETHLEHEM, PA

Venue: Musikfest Cafe
Age Limit: 21+
Ticket Price: Caberet Level 1: $40 ADV - DOS / Cabaret Level 2: $30 ADV-DOS / VIP $190 ADV-DOS
Address: 101 Founders Way, Bethlehem, PA 18015

6-13-14 – CHESTER, PA

Venue: Harrah's Chester Downs
Age Limit: 18+
Ticket Price: P1: $40 ADV-DOS / P2: $30 ADV-DOS / P3: $20 ADV-DOS
Address: 777 Harrah's Blvd., Chester, PA. 19013

6-14-14 – BAYSHORE, NY

Venue: YMCA Boulton Center for the Performing Arts
Ticket Price: Reserved Seating: $60 ADV-DOS / YMCA Member Reserved GROUP: $55 ADV-DOS / VIP Package: $150 ADV-DOS
Address: 37 West Main St., Bay Shore, NY 11706

6-28-14 MEDICINE HAT, AB

Venue: Esplenade Arts & Heritage Centre
Ticket Price: Reserved: $77 CAD ADV-DOS / Reserved: $67 CAD ADV-DOS
Address: 401 First St SE, Medicine Hat, AB T1A 8W2

PostSubject: Re: Lisa marie's tours 2013   

Back to top Go down

Lisa marie's tours 2013